4.03.2009

3 Questions

I found a brief article online which included Niels Diffrient's career highlights and three questions with his answers. I am going to post my own answers in the comments -- you should too!

"While a student at Cranbrook Academy of Art in the late 40’s early 50’s, Niels Diffrient also worked as a designer and model-maker in Eero Saarinen’s practice. This is just the beginning of an illustrious design career in which ergonomic study and design has become a passion and expertise. Designing office seat furniture for Knoll and Sunar-Hausermann in the 80’s preceded Diffrient’s current pursuits at Humanscale, the ergonomic workplace furniture and accessories design manufacturer." - http://www.otto-otto.com/2009/04/3-questions-niels-diffrient/


What is your favorite example of great design?
EARTH

What is the most memorable moment in your career as a designer?
BIRTH

What is the most important factor that influences and/or inspires your design process?
SLEEP

(click on comments to see more designers' answers)

6 comments:

  1. What is your favorite example of great design?
    I DON'T HAVE AN ALL-TIME FAVORITE, BUT MY NEWEST FAVORITE IS AN ANTIQUE WOOD CLOCK MY DAD REFINSHED FOR ME FOR MY BIRTHDAY. THE OUTER SHAPE IS LOVELY, ALONG WITH THE ORNAMENTATION.

    What is the most memorable moment in your career as a designer?
    SEEING A LAMP I DESIGNED IN AN ART VAN FLYER.

    What is the most important factor that influences and/or inspires your design process?
    SIGHT - I LOVE TO GET LOST IN LOOKING.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Design for me comes from History and all around us we are so influenced everyday by great design

    ReplyDelete
  3. Going to Paris I wish I would have gone sooner
    although it still changed my life! Even going later in life is still an amazing adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My most memorable moment. Was going to South Africa and teaching designers in Cape Town and Jo Burg about design influence in the states.
    Also sharing with the local designer! seeing styles ideas and inspirations!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What influences me is nature, timing, seasons, material,and mood! I need to deconstruct things to see why and how they are put together many times to get an understanding of the product! Then I create the 3 D view in my head then to paper!! Crazy maybe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Going to Paris is great for designers. For me it was an immersion into traditional design motifs. I found the city to be beautiful, friendly, and pedestrian friendly. I recommend it highly.

    ReplyDelete